Last night, I played the first episode of Heidi, Girl of the Alps. It was the first time I had watched for a couple years, and this is one of my all-time favorite Isao Takahata classics. Like many of you, I am far too upset and heartbroken to even think about watching something like Grave of the Fireflies or The Tale of the Princess Kaguya. Let's just play in Heidi's happy world for now. Episode 1 is absolutely fantastic and packed with boundless energy and an amazing assortment of compositions, layouts, and art designs. And there are more than a few genuine comic moments. Here is one such example. It's a brief shot where Heidi sees Peter the shepherd boy sprinting down the mountain, and she wants to charge after him. Notice her wind-up pose, which is a wonderfully funny cartoon pose. Heidi begins to dart forward, arms outstretched. The aunt suddenly sees this, and with a very subtle movement, grabs Heidi by the back of her shirt, pulling her back. Heidi's reaction pose...
Comments
Post a Comment